Wednesday, November 12, 2014

How do you #LiveALittle? | Blog Series | Featured Member: Katie in Baltimore

Name: Katie 
Location:  Baltimore

  • When did you start to #LiveALittle (make the changes)? 

About six months after my son was born. I had gained 100 pounds when I was pregnant and needed to loose the weight. I was so upset over the weight and how drastically my life had changed, I knew I needed to change my whole life around. 

  • What do consider your main accomplishments?

My return to college was huge for me. Getting a college degree was my dream. One day- I just applied. I was so scared... And I was accepted. And they offered me a HUGE scholarship. It was a dream come true. Balancing that and two jobs and my son is a struggle, but I am honestly living my dream. 

  • What does everyone around you notice as 'different'? 

I trust that my intelligence is valuable. I am a smart woman, but I have never been confident enough to show that. I never felt like I could be the "smart girl" and still be "valuable". Now I know that's not true. I speak my mind. I now hold my head up. It's been liberating. 

  • If you wanted to create an environment where motivation can thrive, what’s the first thing you would do?

Encourage intelligence. Encourage artistic freedom. Encourage love and understanding. I would give people the ability to feel like they can be 100% true to themselves no matter what. 

  • How do you show that you believe in yourself? 

By working my ass off every single day. Nothing speaks louder than your own work. 

  • How and where do you find inspiration? 

My husband and my son. Both are incredible and strong. They pick up where I just can't. They are infinitely understanding and patient. They remain my biggest cheerleaders and make me laugh when I am beyond exhausted. 

  • How do you keep your feelings from clouding your decision-making? 

I focus on what is real and what I conjure up in my head. My husband is my "check and balance" system. I spout things to him and he acts as a trampoline- bouncing the good to me and the negative away. 

  • What’s the best way to keep your eye on future results or maintaining?

With weight- it's all about how hard the journey was. Once I reached a certain point, I donated every stitch of big clothing I had. No "fat pants" are even in my house. No excuses. No options. 
With education it's all about making a better life for my family. A better life for me. I don't have an exit plan. If you give yourself the option to fail- you will. 


  • What dreams and goals inspired you to succeed? 

I want my son to see my receive my degree. I want people to finally recognize me as something more than a pretty face. I want to prove to myself that my brain is valuable. That I am valuable. I may get a law degree. I may get a PhD. Not sure. But when I do know- I'm ready. 

No comments:

Post a Comment